With the clocks now back, the nights drawing in and the temperatures dropping we have come up with some great ideas and inspiration to keep you busy, entertained and fit this autumn. From Walks in the forests to night biking on some of our amazing mountain bike routes here in north Wales. If your feeling less active, thats ok! We have some great bread making courses, soup stops, outdoor cooking, farm shop visits and gentle walking ideas to tickle your fancies. There still is so much to do here in north Wales whether its stargazing in snowdonia or night paddleboarding on Anglesey we have listed some beauties for you! So no excuses, wrap up head out and getting busy this autumn! So pour yourself a glass of mulled wine, throw another log on the fire, site back, relax and have a read of our 29 amazing autumnal ideas to get you out and about this November and beyond. We hope you enjoy!
1.Take a look at the Bonfire bonanzas list provided by Weareanglesey Bring the sparklers and warm clothes and watch the fireworks displays in one of the many places across Anglesey, with good weather promised it should be amazing..
2. Have a conker match! With the trees all but now empty of there fruits after #Ophelia and #Brian many conkers will be sitting eagerly waiting to be picked up by you. So go and grab then and string them up and get playing! Top tips – some of the best conker trees are at @plasnwydd so head down and get collecting!
3. 50 things Autumnal adventure – plas newydd Mon & Menai. Have a look at this fab listing -yes its already been but Plas Newydd Mon and Menai will be hosting many more events in the future. Keep an eye on this non profit it looks fun and fab for the kids.
4.Go collect some fallen apples ! All around Anglesey and north Wales there are many apple trees that have still apples on them or around them. Why not go ask the land owner of you can collect them and take some home for your efforts? If you have some apple trees with loads left over @Jaspelscider are always looking for a few extra and will pay you in cider! Alternatively take them home and make a delicious dish with them.. See our apple pie recipe below. Yummy Crunchy Apple pie by Genius kitchen
5.Red squirrel week – Plas Newydd national trust Head over to Plas Newydd this autumn for a red squirrel walk, during the Red squirrel week.
6.Get an autumnal Veg box from one of our Islands amazing organic and eat seasonal for a week!
7.Make some autumnal leaf art projects – Why not take the kids to collect some amazing autumnal leaf litter and then create some nature art?! Here are some of our favourite forests to find your goodies..We recommend Penrhos Nature reserve, Newborough forest, Cefni reservoir forest and on the shores the Menai straits .. Oh and here is some inspiration!
8.Its that time of year that we are craving something a little more substantial than a salad, so why not book in for a Pizza & Italian Bread making course over at @Hewitts cafe in Old Colwyn. Or alternatively head to Bryn Celyn Farm shop for a bread making for beginners course (5-26 Nov). Its the perfect time of year for baking your own home cooked bread to go with your seasonal soups and a great way to get the kids involved also! Here are some amazing autumn soups ideas to go with it.
9.Fancy some winter indoor climbing? Then Go to a special autumnal glow in the dark, bouldering in UV glow climbing session at the Beacon Climbing centre near Caernarfon its a fantastic place and very kiddie friendly.
10.Go to visit some nice farms shops on Anglesey. Go to Hooton’s farm shop for some delicious home made autumnal soup and have a good look at the great local produce in the farm shop or alternatively buy some fresh veg and make your own soups at home!. Bryn Celyn Farm shop is also just around the corner also so pay them a visit and see what local produce they have in too. Our favourite seasonal soup stop on Anglesey thus far has to be Y Caban In Bryrefail, nr Lanberis.
11.Have a open fire outside and cook on it.. With the nights drawing in and clocks turned back get some of that excess firewood from the garden chopped and burnt tin a fire pit in the garden. Throw some logs on for good measure and why not cook outdoors for a change with some cast iron pans in the embers with some Campfire chilli con carne in and potatoes in All foil you can cook up some amazing outdoor dishes. For desert marshmallows are a great option or go healthy and make Bannana’s in foil with coconut and chocolate buttons in (ok maybe not so healthy!- but fun) beware these can be messy! here is some great inspiration for your outdoor cooking sessions this autumn.. we love this fire bowl on amazon.
13. With Snowdonia achieving Dark skies status why not sit out this autumn in the garden with binoculars or a telescope looking at the stars. We get the most amazing crisp and clear autumnal skies here, some make the most of them and see if you can catch some shooting stars. Or head out to one of the top 5 dark skies destinations in Snowdonia to see the best the Welsh skies have to offer!
14. With many restaurants on Anglesey changing their menus to Autumn and winter local menus – why not go and sample some of their best this autumn? Ones to watch out for are :
15.Fancy night paddle boarding anyone ?? This autumn Psyched paddleboarding will be running more of their night stand up paddle boarding (SUP) activities on Anglesey and Snowdonia. Give them a shout if you fancy doing something a bit different, its a great opportunity to see an abundance of stars whilst floating on the water. Psyched paddle boarding was recently featured on ITV Coastal Lives with Robson Green, you can watch it here!
16.Go fishing from one of our amazing piers for winter cod fishing action. The cold waters are arriving and so with it come some of our winter time fish species here. If you didn’t already know just like the birds migrating to our shores in winter time, so do many fish. Anglesey and north Wales is famed for its world class sea food and we have some amazing winter fish that arrive at our shores on their winter migration. The big prize are always big winter Cod though. Why not head to one of the fishing piers at night and fish in the small hours in pursuit of a winter catch. Take a flask of tea, warm clothes and some lug worm for bait and try Beaumaris Pier, Llandudno pier and Bangor pier after a real cold snap freeze. If your after some fresh bait and a top up of your tackle head to ABC in Beaumaris , or Winnies worms in Holyhead. New to fishing and need some advice- check out our articles here.
18.Night cycle at one of our amazing north Wales cycle tracks.. One planet adventures in Llandegla just on the borders of England and Wales holds night riding which means you cycle around the tracks with your bike lights on at night..!! Its a great sensory experience and you can pick a very easy route if your new to it!
19. Head out to one of our islands main anthology sites and keep an eye the latest Birds to migrate to our Island @RSPBSouthstack @Aberfraw @Malltraeth
A great blog locally for bird watchers is @webirdnorthwales. You can keep track and log any new visitors @birdguides.com A great blog article by @visitwales also on the birds of Anglesey featuring David Linda
20.Autumn is the best time to go bush craft (other than spring!) — why not go on a course? Local bushcraft expert David Phillips aka the coastal wanderer runs courses through the year, check in with him to see where his next course is at.
21.Head out on some amazing autumn walks along the Anglesey Coastal path in north Wales, here are our three recommendations, this time we feature the East coast of Anglesey near Amlwch:
1) Porth Wen Brick works, coastal path section, Llanbadrig near Amlwch
2) Llanelleian Porcelain works coastal path section Llanbadrig near Amlwch
3) Take a walk around Cemaes bay, Anglesey.
23.Here are 3 Active autumn ideas to keep the fitness levels up!
*Mountain biking @ One Planet adventures –Llandegla
*Sea kayaking with @ Nigel Dennis kayaks – Holyhead
* Windsurfing with @ Funsport rhsosneigr
24.Fancy some great autumn and winter wild life spotting around the coast in north Wales? Then look no further than this great article by @Visitwales to get you started. Pack your binoculars some warm clothes and head out to explore..
25.Go on an autumnal snowdonia hike with the @Snowdoniawalkingfestival they have a series of fantastic guided walks in and around Snowdonia this autumn.
26.Get all colourful at Bodnant gardens. cast your eyes among the beautiful seasonal colours and take a walk through their magical grounds on a crisp autumn day, afterwards you can head to their tea rooms for a snack and a coffee.
27. Want to keep the fitness levels up and keep those winter pounds off ?! Take advantage of many of the local sport centres at Holyhead, Llangeffni and Beaumaris and local private gyms, Crossfit and Fitness by Mel, Enzone Health & Fitness Personal Training studio, Nexus gym, CM fitness,
28. After some artisan autumnal action? Then head over to the Anglesey Artisan frosty Fayre on Nov 18th and indulge in some of our Islands best.
29. Why not head out for a weekend breakfast or brunch at one of three choices this autumn @Beach hut Holyhead @Pilot house and @Swellies cafe. These guys deserve a huge mention as we believe they are some of the unsung foodie heroes we come across on our travels here..
Oh and one last one here.. If you haven’t the time for all this active business and wan to put your feet up an just watch the tele then why not catch up on the latest things on the TV featuring Anglesey. As mentioned earlier there was Robson greens coastal lives, RNLIs saving lives at sea, and the Safe House Final episode in Treaddur Bay.